This activity is made possible in part by a grant provided by the Minnesota State Arts Board through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature. In addition, this activity is supported in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Threads Dance Project recognizes the lead support of its general operations from The McKnight Foundation and Target Foundation.
The Secrets of Slave Songs
St. Paul, MN Tickets for St. Paul Performance
- February 24th – 25th, 2017 | 7:30pm
- The O’Shaughnessy | 2004 Randolph Ave, St Paul, MN 55105 | Get directions here
- $27/$23/$19 (additional fees may apply). Discounts for Students, Seniors, St. Kate Faculty, Staff & Alumnae, MPR/TPT Members, and Military personnel available.
- Tickets: Call the O’Shaughnessy at 651-690-6700 or visit oshag.stkate.edu
Post-show discussion to follow Feb. 25th performance
Decatur, GA Tickets for Decatur performance
- March 18, 2017 | 2:00pm & 7:30pm
- Porter Sanford III Performing Arts & Community Center | 3181 Rainbow Drive, Decatur, GA, 30034 | Get directions here
- $20 Adult, $15 Student, Senior, Children 12 & Under
- Tickets: www.ticketworks.com or call 612-343-3390
Post-show discussion to follow both performances
About the Show
“The Secrets of Slave Songs” intimately re-imagines Traditional Negro Spirituals and their direct relation to the African-American quest for freedom. This full-length piece—born from the belief that the Traditional Negro Spiritual was a secret language between slaves—powerfully presents the heartbreak of attempted escape, the sorrow of failure, and the triumph of liberation.
Through dramatic movement and song, “The Secrets of Slave Songs” explores the complicated, intertwined relationships between white Americans and African slaves as the origin of continued complex relationships between white and black Americans.