Tapestries 8.0 - Emerging Choreographer Initiative
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 20, 2023 5:00PM CST
Decision announced by November 20, 2023
About the Tapestries Program
Threads Dance Project will commission 3 emerging choreographers selected by an expert panel of dance/community leaders to create new works for the company’s spring 2024 season under the guidance of Artistic/Executive Director Karen L. Charles. Tapestries provides a much-needed avenue for underrepresented women and artists of color to take center stage in the world of professional choreography. The program is organized so emerging choreographers experience the typical professional commissioning process. The time frame, technical support, and ability to work with professional dancers, designers, and mentors all reflect a professional choreographing experience. This immersive program prepares participants for future success in the field.
Tapestries 8.0 Details
- Dates of Residency: January 2024 –May 2024 – 3-week residency per choreographer plus feedback and peer review session
- Rehearsals: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays 9a-12:30p at the Threads Dance Nexus in Minneapolis
- Performances Dates: May 3-5, 2024, at TEK Box Theater
- $1,600 choreography commission fee to create a new work of up to 15 minutes in length.
- Minimum of 2 public performances of finished work
- Costume, Lighting Design, and Music Rights expenses covered. Additional technical support (i.e., music editing, heavy lighting needs, video design, projection, scenic design, hazer/fogger) is at the choreographer’s expense.
- An Introductory meeting will be scheduled with the choreographers in early December.
- Accommodations and transportation are not provided for choreographers who live outside the Twin Cities.
- Have 2-10 years of generative experience (outside of college programs), Be at least 21 years of age
- Have not had an established company for more than 3 years OR have not had work professionally presented more than 4 times
- Are a legal resident of MN or the 5 legal boroughs of NY
- Be available for the entire duration of your residency and tech week (January-May 5, 2024)
- Have not been a Tapestries choreographer within the last 2 years.
- Choreography proposal is an original new work and is not a previously created work, remount, revival, or new interpretation of pre-existing material.
- Attend casting audition for choreographers which will be held Tuesday January 9, 2024, from 9am – 12:30pm
- Attend 3 Mandatory peer review sessions
The application process consists of 3 parts:
- Part 1: Resume/CV (2 Page Limit): 1-2 Page Resume/CV should include past choreographic works, awardsand recognitions, and education. Acceptable file types: pdf, doc, docx. Bios are unacceptable.
Part 2: Choreographer Information and Proposal for Work: Submit completed Choreographer Info & Proposal Form.
DOWNLOAD FORM HERE
- Part 3: Work Samples: Link to 2 – 4 work samples, uploaded to Vimeo or another platform. Full length works are preferred over edited excerpts. One work sample must be of a full-length, completed work. All samples must be video of the applicant’s own choreography. Work Samples should be no more than 20 minutes.
Submit Parts 1-3 of application to email@example.com. Acceptable file types: pdf, doc, docx.
For Tapestries consideration, questions or concerns, contact:
Karen Christ Aalgaard
I know how difficult it is as a choreographer, especially for choreographers of color and women, to get opportunities to hone your craft. I have a great opportunity to support my fellow artist –connecting my audience and my company to new, diverse, and very talented voices.Karen L. Charles