About Dance Nexus
nex·us | ˈnek-səs
the central and most important point or place of connection
The Threads Dance Nexus is a brand new community hub that not only provides a home for the company but also strengthens the social fabric of our Minneapolis community through the connective power of dance.
The Threads Dance Nexus offers a variety of dance and movement classes including Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Yoga, and Social Dance. Our knowledgeable and diverse staff teaches with an anatomically-based approach to movement that honors the social and historical context of these various dance techniques.
Threads Dance Nexus has a single 1,480 square ft studio available for rent as well as changing rooms, and office space for the company’s administrative staff.
Threads Dance Nexus strives to be an inclusive space where movers of any identity, age, or ability are welcome to participate in our dance classes, yoga practice, community talks and other public events.
DANCE NEXUS: A place to learn, experience, create.
- Lecture/demonstrations and community open rehearsals
- Youth Company: focused on kids from different socioeconomic backgrounds
- Artist development workshops
- Community dance classes
- Community performance/presentation space
- Community events around art, race, diversity and dance
- Home for Threads Dance Project
- Tapestries Emerging Choreographer Program
- Creative Space for broader arts community
“Dance is for everybody. I believe that the dance came from the people and that it should always be delivered back to the people.”–Alvin Ailey
The Threads Dance Nexus shares Mr. Ailey’s belief that anyone can dance and that we are all dancers. We strive to create an equitable and inclusive learning environment where students’ gifts can be cultivated and opportunities for growth are embraced.
Far too many aspiring dance artists have been harmed by abusive, sexist, racist, and ableist schooling. The Threads Dance Nexus seeks to be a place where diverse learners are treated with dignity and respect.
We welcome all individuals to experience our innovative and rigorous teaching methods designed to cultivate the mover in all of us. Our teaching philosophy is:
- Culturally-relevant—so that dancers of any race or ethnicity feel a sense of belonging
- Trauma-informed–dance education has the potential to reproduce harm or liberate. We chose liberation!
- Anatomically sound–working safely with the body to keep you dancing longer and stronger
- Inclusive and equitable–all are welcome and differing needs acknowledged
- Socially just–seeks to rectify injustice through arts activism
Click here to see the schedule and class descriptions.
THREADS DANCE NEXUS COVID-19 PREPAREDNESS PLAN (CPP)
The Threads Dance Project Nexus seeks to provide a safe environment for its company, teachers, students, and community members. To ensure we have a safe and healthy workplace Threads has developed the following Covid-19 Preparedness Plan (CPP) in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Our CPP is compliant with all guidelines set forth by the CDC/MDH/MNOSHA/MN Executive Orders, but it cannot express any guarantee, promise, or assurance of 100% effectiveness without consistent compliance from us all. Everyone at The Threads Dance Project Nexus–all company staff and dancers, teachers, students, and other visitors are all responsible for implementing this plan.
Only through this cooperative effort can we establish and maintain the safety and health of all persons in our studio space.
The Threads Dance Project Nexus CPP follows the industry guidance developed by the state of Minnesota, available at the Stay Safe Minnesota website (http://staysafe.mn.gov), which is based on the CDC and MDH guidelines for Covid-19, MNOSHA statutes, rules and standards, as well as Minnesota’s relevant and current executive orders. It addresses:
- Identification & Isolations of Sick Persons
- Hygiene & Source Controls
- Building & Ventilation Protocol
- Workplace Cleaning & Protocol
- Communication Practices & Protocol
Please click here to read our full COVID-19 Preparedness Plan